St. Thomas' top team placed third in the 17-team St. John's Fall Invite. The final 18 holes were contested Sunday. No. 24-ranked UST closed six shots behind co-champions Manitoba (294-299/593) and No. 16-ranked St. John's (304-289/593).
UST topped fourth-place UW-Eau Claire by three shots.
The Tommies' No. 2 team shot 304-303/607 and placed fifth.
St. Thomas had one player in the top 10 and nine in the top 42 in a field of 100 players:
- Derek Farrell shot 73 on Sunday and tied for eighth at 149;
- Emmet Herb shot 73 on Sunday and tied for 14th at 150;
- Shane Sienko shot 74 on Sunday and tied for 14th at 150;
- Jack Ritchay of the No. 2 team shot 75-75 and tied for 14th at 150;
- Pete Sienko shot 75-77 and tied for 21st;
- freshman Max McGlade of the No. 2 team shot 75-77 and tied for 21st.
The Tommies will compete in the 54-hole Twin Cities Classic Sept. 23-25.
St. Thomas has two teams sitting in the top five at the halfway point of the 17-team St. John's Fall Invite. The final 18 holes will be contested Sunday.
Nine of the 10 players competing on the two Tommie teams shot either a 75, 76 or 77. St. Thomas' first team shot 302 and sits in third behind Manitoba (294) and UW-Eau Claire (296), and thr second team shot 304 and is tied for fourth with St. John's.